Participants may perform a solo, duet, trio or small ensemble, as well as a district choir, of a religious nature.
- Participants must be in the 6th-12th grade by the time of Celebrate Life in May. Each District President is responsible for who may/may not participate from their district.
- Vocal entries must be memorized. Participants must give an original copy of the performance material to the judges. A performer who uses music and does not have the music memorized will receive a 4 point deduction.
- All entries should fall between 2 and 6 minutes in length. Under or over the time limit shall be marked on the participant’s critique sheet.
- All entries shall be of a religious nature. Classical music is permitted.
- Only use the sound system that is provided.
- Participants may be assisted by live accompaniment, no accompaniment, or by recorded accompaniment.
- Music must be provided for the judges. Lyric sheets are not sufficient. The use of lyric sheets only for judges shall result in a 2 point deduction.
- The accompaniment must not have voices singing the same words and notes simultaneously with the singer(s). The participant will be judged according to the printed music at any time.
- An ensemble is defined as four to eleven persons; twelve persons or more is considered a choir (for registration purposes). Any vocal entry with 2 or more people shall be judged as an ensemble.
- Vocal ensembles and choirs shall be judged in the age group of the oldest participant within the group.
- Participants shall be limited to district finalists attaining a Superior or Excellent rating.
- Each praise band will be allowed setup time; 15 minutes performance time; 10 minutes tear down. Exceeding the time limit will result in a 2 point deduction. Each praise band shall present a worship set lasting no fewer than 10 minutes and no longer than 15 minutes.
- Musical Arts categories shall include:
- Vocal: solo, duet, trio, ensemble, rap, and choirs (including district choirs)
- Instrumental: solo, keyboard, ensemble and band, and praise band.
- The schedule will be posted by 12 noon on Thursday. If a particular performance time is desired because of extenuating circumstances(such as distance to be traveled), indicate preferred time on your registration form. If a scheduled performance time does not work, stop by the Fine Arts office in the Larsen Fine Arts Center to have your performance time changed.
- The contest will run from 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. on Friday with the exception of Praise Bands. They will perform on Thursday starting at 1:00 P.M.
- All score sheets may be picked up in the main lobby of the Larsen Fine Arts Center on Friday, no sooner than 2 hours after the performance.
- All Superior/Excellent ratings will be taken as a percentage of the district total entries. Each district will garner grand trophy points with the 1st place district receiving the most and the 11th place district receiving the least.
- You may only participate once per category. District choir members may sing in addition to their local church youth choir. Please dress appropriately for your activity.