The Chess Tournament is a competition during Celebrate Life. Each district will send one participant to represent their district and compete in the tournament.
- Participants must be in the 6th-12th grade by the time of Celebrate Life in May. Each District President is responsible for who may/may not participate.
- Each district is allowed one participant.
- Each district may select one alternate. Alternate names must be submitted when registering for Celebrate Life. Alternates are only eligible to attend/participate in CL when replacing a team member who is unable to attend/participate in Celebrate Life.
- The Chess Director shall serve/appoint someone to serve as the arbiter(judge).
- It shall be a double elimination tournament (bracket following). Play begins at 2:00 P.M. on Thursday in Wisner room 159.
- Play shall be governed by the FIDE Laws of Chess except where they are overridden by the following Laws of “Rapid play”
- All the moves must be made in a 30-minute time period or less.
- Players do not need to record the moves.
- Players may only use one hand in making their moves. Once they have touched a piece, they must move that piece (if that piece has a legal move). The hand in which they move their pieces is the same hand they must use when operating their clock (only one hand allowed).
- When a player has made three moves, no claim can be made regarding incorrect piece placement, orientation of the chessboard or clock setting.
- The arbiter shall make a ruling according to Articles 4 and 10 of the FIDE Laws of Chess, only if requested to do so by one or both players.
- The flag is considered to have fallen when a player to that effect has made a valid claim. The arbiter shall refrain from signaling a flag fall.
- To claim a win on time, the claimant must stop both clocks and notify the arbiter. For the claim to be successful the claimant’s flag must remain up and his opponent’s flag down after the clocks have been stopped.
- If both flags have fallen, the game is drawn.
- A player failing to arrive forfeits any game (not started within 15 minutes of its posted time).
- Each district will garner grand trophy points with the 1st place individual receiving the most and the 11th place individual receiving the least.
- A random draw of tournament play will take place prior to Celebrate Life.